Faire une Pause - Timeout - Rehat

The blog contains mainly my reading activity, -- in broader sense, it includes watching film for example -- experience and my personal appreciation on what I read. Basically, I will read books in one of the three (so far) languages: Indonesian, English, French, then I will write the comment on other language than the text I read, at least I'll try to do so.

o

Saturday, November 20, 2004

December vacation book shopping

Due to financial situation, I don't think we'll go anywhere this chrismas-new year holiday. It will be one full week from Saturday December 25th to January 3rd. Maybe I'll have another day on Friday 24th.

Reading some books will be very likely to be my main activity during the period. What book will I read? I know that I have already ordered Guyer's The Cambridge Companion to Kant book and still in rereading the Gardner Routledge Philosophy Guidebook to Kant and the Critique of Pure Reason. These two books will be the more likely to be read. But, I would have re-read the Gardner book and started some pages of Gardner on December 25th and intensively reading Kant last two months may make me bored. So, I might read some other books.

But what books? I have some interesting books that I haven't had time to read. Let's name a few of them. First of all,
Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid of Hofstadter. I have read some first pages of the book when I decided to stop for several reasons. First reason is the book is more serious than I thought. You need some papers to do some pseudo-exercises uin the book. Second reason is the story about Bach was quite hard to follow since I have no music knowledge. But, maybe I will give another retry for this book this christmas

Other book that of my interest and already in my personal library is
Reasoning About Plans of Allen. I have read first two chapters of the book but I would like to re-read them. The book is always interesting, especially the first chapter when Allen proposes a planning representation. The second chapter about plan recognition is less interesting.

A book that interests me but not yet in my personal library is the book of the 2004 nobel winner Jelinek, The Piano Teacher or La Pianiste in French. If I order the book, it is the French version would be the more likely to be the ordered one. I saw the film directed by Hanneke and read the novel may be interesting especially after the winner has won the nobel prize.

Another book that caught my eyes is
Set Theory and Its Philosophy: A Critical Introduction of Michael Potter. This book seems very interesting and very recent. I may order this book instead of the Jelinek's book.

Finally, some other books that may interest me are:
La Confrérie des Eveillés of Jacques Attali, Gilbert Sinoué Le Livre de saphir, The Structure of Scientific Revolutions of Kuhn, or Introduction to Logic and to the Methodology of Deductive Sciences of Tarski. Or even some more academic but money maker Geometric Concepts for Geometric Design of Wolfgang Boehm, Geometric Methods and Applications: For Computer Science and Engineering of Jean Gallier, Geometric Tools for Computer Graphics of Philip Schneider.

I will wait of course until the end of the month before making any order, if any. From here and there, some may change of course...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home